While my love for LEGO sets has dwindled of late, my love for the minifigure has grown. I have every one of the collectable minifigure series (yes, that includes Mr Gold!) and I have found myself enjoying collecting minifigures over sets. I’m a massive Marvel fan so this year my focus is on collecting Marvel minifigures. I have the full Guardians of the Galaxy line-up but as a completist I will need to get all variations of every minifigure.
Now for some minifigures that’s easy, but for other more popular minifigures we have a host of variations. None more so than Iron Man who we’ve seen in various incarnations since his first appearance back in 2012. Below is a list of the versions I’m aware of; how many sets that minifigure has appeared in, and what the approx after-market value is based on Bricklink pricing.
- Iron Man (Toy Fair 2012 Exclusive): This version is the only one to have a printed head instead of an actual helmet. This was a Toy Fair exclusive appearing only once with only 125 were. Current aftermarket value is £650. Yes really that much!!!
- Iron Man with Triangle on Chest: Released in 2012 and appeared in 6867: Loki’s Cosmic Cube Escape and 30167: Iron Man vs. Fighting Drone. A new one will cost you about £7.99 new from Bricklink.
- Iron Man with Circle on Chest: This minifigure also appeared in April 2012 in 6869: Quinjet Aerial Battle. Average price of a new one on Bricklink is £11.23
- Iron Man Mark 42 Armour: The first of the 2013 minifigures, again this one was a one set wonder, only appearing in 76006: Iron Man: Extremis Sea Port Battle. Expect to pay around £5.61.
- Iron Man Mark 42 Armour (Plain White Head): The same as the above minifigure but as it appears in Tony’s collection it comes with a white head. Again this only appeared in one set in 2013 76007: Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack. Prices average around £4.82
- Iron Man with Heart Breaker Armour: Another 2013 variation and appears in 76008: Iron Man vs. The Mandarin: Ultimate Showdown. One of my personal faves, this one will cost you around £10.
- Iron Man Mark 43: A 2015 Iron Man variation appearing in 76031: The Hulk Buster Smash, 76032: The Avengers Quinjet City Chase and 76038: Attack on Avengers Tower as part of the Ultron sets. It is the only Iron Man to date to appear in 3 sets. Cost is very low due to his frequent appearances, so expect to pay around £3.50
- Iron Man Mark 45: Another 2015 minifigure but makes only one appearance in 76029: Iron Man vs. Ultron. The MK.45 will cost around £4 for him.
- Scuba Iron Man: The first of the 2016 minifigures and the first not to come in the classic dark red/gold colour scheme. Instead he comes in a sand green variation. He appears in 76048: Iron Skull Sub Attack. The price for him is around £9.
- Space Iron Man: The second new colour variation, this time in white as he is the space variation. Again, he is new for 2016 and appears in just one set, 76049: Avenjet Space Mission. Average price around £9 again.
- Iron Man with Circle on Chest: This is the Junior version, but like the 2012 version and I for one think they look identical. He appears in 10721: Iron Man vs. Loki. Cost for this version is £4.50 so technically half price of the 2012 version.
- Silver Centurion: Appears 5002946: Silver Centurion polybag and another 2016 version. Cost of this minifigure is £28.00 due to the rarity of the polybag but expect the price to drop over the year.
- Iron Man Mark 46: A new one based on the upcoming Civil War movie. He only appears in the largest set 76051: Super Hero Airport Battle. Price for this one currently averages £9.87
I’ve not included links as there are plenty of 3rd party vendors who will sell the majority of minifigures above. This is more of a simple guide to make sure you get them all. As well as those mentioned above, there are two other minifigures and one brick-built version that can be part of your Iron Man collection.
- Iron Man Statuette: This micro figure appears in 76042: S.H.I.E.L.D. Helicarrier but can be picked up for around £7.
- Tony Stark: Obviously Tony is Iron Man so you need him out of his suit. Tony appears in 76007: Iron Man: Malibu Mansion Attack from 2013 and will cost around £7.50 on the second-hand market.
- Hulkbuster armour: Ok it’s not technically a minifigure, but is an essential suit from Iron Man’s hall of armour so still worth getting. Resellers do sell the armour on it’s own for £16. He is from 76031: The Hulk Buster Smash.
I’ve not included War Machine/Iron Patriot as they are separate in my view. Have I missed any? Photos of all these can be found on sites like Brickset and Bricklink. Does any Brick Fanatics reader own all those listed above? Let us know below 🙂